- On March 21, 2018
- cannabidiol, cannabis legalization, cannabis news, CBD, hemp, legal cannabis, legal marijuana, medical hemp, medical marijuana
While the end of marijuana prohibition is spreading across the U.S., there are still some states that are reluctant to enter into the brave new world of cannabis. But data compiled by Marijuana Business Daily shows even in states with restrictive cannabis laws, there are still signs of progress–especially when it comes to CBD.
- In Virginia, Gov. Ralph Northam (D) dropped the list of qualifying conditions for low-THC cannabis, instead allowing physicians to recommend cannabis for any ailment. Before Northam signed the legislation, medical practitioners were only allowed to prescribe cannabis for the treatment or to alleviate the symptoms of intractable epilepsy.
- A bill that would regulate the distribution and sale of CBD oil was approved unanimously in the Utah Senate and passed in the state House on a 49-20 vote. The House sponsor of the bill, Brad Daw (R), said, “This bill solves an immediate problem where we have a lot of fake product on the shelves right now. I think this bill fulfills our duty to protect consumers, and make sure what they are buying is what they think they are buying.”
- Gov. Eric Holcomb (R) is expected to sign a bill that would legalize CBD oil in Indiana. When the bill is signed into law, it will expand CBD access from patients with epilepsy to all adults. While cannabis advocates say the bill is a win for cannabis, many of them are frustrated that the bill requires burdensome labeling that they say will prevent manufacturers to sell their products in the state.
- In Iowa, seven companies have applied to sell low-THC medical cannabis at 21 separate locations. The state is expected to approve licenses for five locations next month. Iowa’s medical marijuana program is in its infancy, and existing rules prohibit marijuana products from being smoked or eaten, and THC potency is limited to 3%.
While access to CBD and cannabis is still quite limited in a number of states, there is movement and incremental change.
Looking to get your CBD business off the ground in a hurry? Contact Colorado 420 Websites for a cannabis themed design package today!